One of the most common home crises a homeowner could face is a pipe burst. If you are home when this disaster happens, it may sound like a mini-explosion taking place in your home. It is extremely beneficial to know how to deal with a pipe burst before one potentially occurs. Here is what to do when you experience a pipe burst:
1. Safety Comes First
- Remove Damaged Items- Get wet items out of your house to prevent further damage
- Turn Off the Electricity- Water and electricity together do not mix. To prevent any possibility of electrical shock, make sure to shut down all of the power and electrical circuits near the affected area. Open windows to increase ventilation around your house.
2. Locate the Pipe
- Assess the Area Around the Pipe Burst- If the pipe burst occurred in the upper level of your home, check the surrounding area to see if the water is moving to different levels and areas throughout your home.
3. Stop the Water
- First Things First- Turn off the water flow when you suspect a pipe has burst in your home.
- Locate the Water Main- The water main in your home is typically located under the kitchen sink or where the main service pipe connects to your home. It is important that each familly member knows the location of that water shut-off valve.
- Drain the Pipes- Run cold water on all of the faucets located in your home. Flush each toilet 1-2 times. Shut off the hot water heater. Then, go back to each faucet and run the hot water. After there is no more running tap water, the leak should subside.
4. Repair the Burst Pipe
- Call a Plumber- If the pipe break is small, you may be able to patch it with commercial tape or chemical bonding agent. However, there is a chance that the pipe might burst again later and you'll be right back where you started. Therefore, it is best to call a plumber to ensure that you are using the best method of repair.
5. Drying the Damage
- Call a Professional Water Restoration Company- Opening the windows and using fans may not be enough to dry saturated areas. If the floors and walls are soaked there is a possibility of mold growth. Call a professional drying company to dry the affected area as efficiently as possible.
Contact us at 888-379-7970 for emergency service!